I can’t say that the last few days in Bombay have been the most “amazing.” The initial shock and excitement of being in India has passed. We have been busy and all around the city; getting to know the taxi system, the conversion of rupees to dollars, haggling with street vendors, communicating, etc. all of it is actually becoming quite natural.
Just as you get comfortable though, India does a really good job of reminding you that you are in fact in India. And unless you have grown up or been here for quite a significant amount of time India will always bring you right back to reality that there are certain survival tactics and immunities you can’t quite pick up in just two weeks.
So far my group has had almost every travel nightmare hit with a great force: one fractured foot, several head colds, viral infections, ear infections, sick stomachs (“Delhi Belly”), acid reflux, bug bites, blisters, broken contacts, lost ATM cards, unexpected red light district excursions… I could probably keep going but I think you get the picture.
What I’m trying to say is that no matter how much you love this place or appreciate the culture or LOVE the food it will eventually kick you in the butt. And it’s a really hard kick.
I’m sitting in my hotel room reflecting on all that has happened in the last two weeks and I must admit I am very sad that I only had two weeks to try to discover this large city. But for a first shot I think I did what I could because any longer in this city might kill me.
My stomach is rumbling my nose is runny; my face is breaking out from the polluted air. I think it’s about time we move on and leave the rest of Bombay for discovery when I come back next time.
I don’t want to sound like I’m complaining. After all, I was told that Bombay would be “an assault on my senses.” And I believed them completely I just don’t think I’ve been representing that assault in any of my previous posts.
I just didn’t want anyone to get the wrong impression that traveling through this city was easy. Because it isn’t, I’ve been fascinated by everything but it’s been really hard work.
Tomorrow is my last day in Bombay so I will make the most of it. Then it’s off to Delhi and Agra to see the Taj Mahal.
Friday, August 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment